News & Updates for Larkin Golf ClubSubscribe to the RSS feed for this page and never miss an update!
View Recent Updates for All Courses
- 9/17/16, Review by aepfeiffer - Hadnt seen any postings lately about Larkin and would like to post an update, unless they have fixed the course in the last few weeks the course only has 16.5 holes available to play....#10 is closed due to them building homes where the driving range used to be and #11 has went from a Par 5 to now a Par 3! They have dropped prices to make the course cheaper due to this, but until they reopen all 18 holes just beware what you are getting! The greens were in good shape except for about 1000 ball marks, Im guessing with tons of play and laziness people just don't fix the ball marks that plague bent grass or improperly fix them! The rough is nice and thick as well. But otherwise the course is in great shape!
- 9/3/16, Review by Mattrobinson065 - You can tell this course has a lot of potential when it is in prime condition. Unfortunately, they were doing some serious reconstruction to the course when I was there so hole #10 was close and hole #11 was changed from a par 5 to a par 3 (make shift tee box in the fairway). I absolutely loved the back 9 (or 8 for that matter). It played completely differently than the front nine. The front nine felt like a mountain course, with some pretty fun holes that had dramatic slope changes. The second par 3 and first par 5 have exciting tee shots way above the fairway. The back nine plays more like a resort style course. It's much flatter with more water. Overall- this is a course that I'm excited to play in 6-7 months when they finish the renovations to hole 10 and 11. I would recommend calling in to see the status of the course before making the trek north of Lake Norman to play it.
- 5/8/16, Review by bneuman1 - The staff was fantastic. The clubhouse was nice. The course was an adventure! There are no two holes the same and every shot demands that you think! So much fun. Will definitely play again when we return to Charlotte.
- 10/12/15, Review by scotth - I played 9 holes here last Monday and course was in really good condition. Tees and Greens in good shape and I only saw one other group playing the front 9. Pace of play was great.
- 10/16/14 - Msg Board Posting
Fox Den is now Larkin Golf Club IM4DHERD As noted in my review today, the ownership of Stonebridge has finalized their purchase of Fox Den and re-branded her "Larkin Golf Club". Looking forward to seeing what they will do for the place, which is already a gem. Seeing some improvements already.
- 10/16/14, Review by IM4DHERD - Fox Den was acquired by the ownership of Stonebridge, and has now been re-branded as "Larkin Golf Club". Fox Den has always been a favorite - GREAT layout, always good condition but maybe no pristine. Looks like the Stonebridge folk will work to make it as nice as their first. You can see some changes already...New granite tee markers, big improvement in the sand traps (edging, etc.) and overall the conditions are excellent. There is a gap between Good and "Perfect" but this is better than good. Tees and fairways are excellent. Greens are a little slow, but it looks like they had punched them fairly recently. Am looking forward to seeing what the new owners do for what is already one of my top 10.
- 6/21/14, Review by oneputt - First time making the trek up here. Very pleased with what I found. Fairways were grown in and very playable. Greens were soft, held most shots and rolled smooth. They were a bit slow but not so that it presented any problems. Pace of play was to be expected for weekend. Ranger was out doing his job and it helped. Pro-shop staff were outstanding. Really focused on making sure we had a good experience. Cart staff also were very friendly and focused. I will certainly make another trip this way soon. You should as well.
- 6/4/14 - Msg Board Posting
Re: fox den The B-Man Thanks, panthersfann55. Here's the story:
Fox Den Golf Club in Statesville, N.C. is pleased to announced new ownership as of May 1, 2014
- 5/31/14 - Msg Board Posting
Fox Den home foreclosure The B-Man Noticed this article in the Observer today:
Statesville homeowners try to ward off foreclosure over money developer borrowed
It mentions that a limited liability company called Fox Den Acquisitions acquired the golf course earlier this year. Judging by the recent review, it hasn't affected the course conditions, but I'm curious what anyone else knows about the situation.
- 5/22/14, Review by Marvshaputts - Unreal. For $15 at 5pm you can buzz through this course in about 3 hours. The greens are in immaculate shape and the rest of the course is too. Best deal in North Carolina and the greens are incredible right now. Get out and play it!
- 4/13/14, Review by Bogeybryan - Played early Sunday morning and starter was already flustered with no shows/late arrivals. Got bumped around as he made up groups based on who showed up, but got off within 15 minutes of booked tee time. Be advised the road into the course from I-77 is closed due to bridge replacement. Detour is well marked, but adds 5-10 minutes to travel time. Conditions OK for time of year with pretty bumpy greens due to aeration a week or so ago. Traps raked and dry. Course Marshall out and visible, but we got around in 4 hours with minimal waits on a few par 3's. You can play two rounds at Fox Den for price of one round at Warrior. Good value and fun course with a few quirky holes.
- 4/10/14 - Msg Board Posting
Aeration slowmofo FYI it looks like Fox den aerated a week and a half ago. Still a little bumpy. It's that time of year for aeration so if you know anything please post!
- 9/28/13, Review by dongtrgolfer - OK, maybe I hit this course on the wrong day. Get to the course and the parking lot is packed at noon. Had to park in an overflow lot. Check in and guy says we need to wait for a cart even though there are two sitting outside. He offers no other info on the course. I wait for 20 min and no cart offered. So I see 3 sitting there so I go back inside for a cart key and he acts like he has never seen me. Finally get the cart and head to 1st tee. Starter comes up and is really nice. He tells us the pro booked a tournament but did not tell anyone. So basically they are double booked and slow. Why didn't the pro shop guy tell me and offer me another tee time later or rain check since I prepaid? Front nine in good shape but a 3 hour front nine took the joy out of playing as we waited on every shot and every tee. One tee I could see 5 groups on 2 holes, brutal. On 10th tee it looked just as bad so we circled back and played the front nine again. No one around us and we played in 1:45 minutes. I have read a lot of good reviews but I will not be back after this terrible experience.
- 7/20/13, Review by jsenecal - Course was in excellent condition considering all the rain we have had. Best condition of any public course I've played this year. Fairways were excellent, Greens were very nice a med speed. Highly recommended.
- 6/27/13, Review by SmitteyB - This golf course is in fantastic shape. My first time playing it, an simple open layout. Not overly difficult with decent greens. Didn't get a chance to check out the putting green or the range, but I did see it was real grass. Fairways probably their best asset. Nice to see an affordable daily public track that takes care of the golf course. Highly recommend!
- 6/22/13, Review by metallikviper - About as perfect a course you can find for less than $40 for weekend golf. Tee to green this course is in amazing shape. Greens were in really good shape considering the time of the year. I had to make an adjustment as even my long irons were backing up. Only reason I gave it 4.5* was because of the bunkers. Some of the bunkers were not maintained, it could have been from the rain too. The beverage cart passed us 3-4 times after 10AM. We saw a Marshall about every other hole. The driving range is very well maintained and about 70% of their balls are new Nike Practice balls. If it wasn't an hour drive, I would be playing this course at least 2-3 times a month. Also, can't beat a $5 hot dog & beer combo at the turn.
- 6/2/13, Review by Cant3Putt - The course is in great shape from tee to green. Pace of play wasn't an issue and the cart girl came around enough times to keep you well hydrated. I can also compliment the lunch special of a quarter pound hot dog and beer for $5. The greens are in wonderful condition, the fairways and rough have grown in. Keep it in the fairway because the bermuda rough is already at 2-3 inches and it will swallow a ball quickly. If you never played here before, you need to work on hitting from uneven lies and dramatic elevation changes from the tee box. The course does have some "ridiculous" holes like Number 8 which has a huge elevation change from the tee box (about 2-3 stories) with a creek around 220 yards from the tee and deep woods surrounding the tee box on both sides. This hole is so hard from the tee that there is a drop area at the bottom of the hill. If you draw the ball too much you end up in the pond on the left side or one of the numerous fairway bunkers just beyond the creek. Forget it if you slice the ball. Then there's number 10. It's a Par 4 that require a long iron off the tee then your are left with a medium to long iron to the green fronted by a pond. Don't get me wrong it's a great course and if you can handle the drive from the Charlotte area it's well worth the trip.
- 5/25/13, Review by slowmofo - Fox den is a great course. At first i thought it was going to be a housing community course,but then you wind through the woods which is great. There are 2 holes that are risk reward with a creek out about 250. The fairways were in great shape, the greens were full and pretty quick, and the cart girl was most definitely cute. For the price the course is amazing, too bad its not closer to charlotte
- 10/6/12, Review by DrSchteeve - Perfect conditions, so why 4 stars? Rate listed on Fox Den website was $39, they charged $45 and gave no explanation or apology. Guy at the counter was rude. Overall pace not bad but were behind several 4somes that were clueless - hitting from blue tees, tee shots routinely no farther than the red tees or in the trees.
- 9/25/12, Review by itsindahole - I highly suggest playing this course soon. The greens are near perfect.. rolling between 10-11 on the stimpmeter. Much quicker than most courses currently in Charlotte. Tee boxes, fairways, and rough are all in great shape to. This place is always very inexpensive to play and for the quality right now, possibly the best in Charlotte. Get out there and enjoy it!
- 9/17/12, Review by izzyf150 - This course is in great condition and looks great too. I honestly canít think of anything bad to say about this course. The only thing I can complain about is the golf cart, it didnít like to run very well, even once it was warmed up. Their carts look fairly new too, maybe we just got a lemon today. The top speed on the cart was horrible also, sometimes I felt like I could walk faster. Iíve noticed on courses that have steep hills to climb that the carts donít usually have a good speed. I assume itís because of the way they have to gear them to climb the hills. The greens have a nice medium speed to them. Some of the greens were very tricky, especially the longer the putt got. There were times when I didnít see a lot of break in a putt and then found out I was wrong. Then there would be times when the putt would be fairly straight. I got to the point where putting felt like a shot in the dark. I think my problem hinged around that Iím not use to medium speed greens being able to break as much as some of these greens. Anyway this is a nice course.
- 9/7/12, Review by GTGGolf - Played here on Friday and the course was in great shape. Rough is lush and gnarly. The fairways and tees are nice as well. Greens were just aerated. However with all the rain, the holes healed up quite nicely. They heavy top dressed all the greens and with all the rain we had, you can hardly tell they were punched (a little a hairy and bumpy). Everyday will be getting better and just wait for the Fall when these bent greens start to speed up!
- 8/31/12, Review by metallikviper - Second time playing this course and still loving it. If this course was within 5 miles of where I live I would at least play here every other week. This is one of the few courses that does not have the mini-verde greens and is still in good shape. Tee boxes, bunkers and fairways were all in good shape. For the money it is totally worth playing this course.
- 7/28/12, Review by sawlog - Now that I live in Statesville it is tough to get tee times, there are only 4 public access courses here and one of them is on temp greens. My favorite course is difficult to get spur of the moment tee times on, I scored a round on Golf Now for a price I could afford and went over and played Pox Den. The course was in great shape, the greens rolled great so it made putting fair. The staff was friendly and the pace of play was good. The only drawback I could find is the 6th hole a par 5 that is completely roped off to cart traffic. I understand from a safety standpoint the reason but it makes it tough when it is a 95 degree day to shuffle back and forth to the cart on such a hilly hole. If you play the correct tees this course is fair and I will play here again.
- 5/1/12, Review by Wulfpack - I played Fox Den for the first time this morning. It's about a 35 minute drive from the city center straight up 77 to exit 45 just south of Statesville. I got a $31 coupon off this site so it was an excellent value. I shot a very good round and finished just under three hours. I had the course to myself th first few holes before I was able to play through a foursome on the 6th. The par 72 course allows you to get in the groove with some relatively easy holes starting out. But the front nine closes with the #3, #5, #9, and #1 handicaps, so don't get too comfortable. I enjoyed the layout of the course as the topography varies. A couple of blind shots and some elevation, but nothing like Eagle Chase. It's not particuarly long, which suits my game. A couple of holes where you need to lay-up off the tee or go with a long iron to mix it up. I particulary enjoyed the par 3 5th with an elevated tee. The course overall was in pretty good condition. The fairways needed to be cut and the greens were rather slow. The bunkers were raked and there are a couple of pretty lakes on the course. The course winds through a nice neighborhood. Pro shop was excellent but I did notice there wasn't a cart girl coming around with food and beverages, and it was hot. Also no water coolers on the course. This course is a good value and excellent option for those living on the north or west sides of town. I played Westport last week and Fox Den has the better course hands down (I wouldn't bother with Westport unless you really just need to practice and take advantage of the $30 all you can play option on Tuesdays). I wouldn't put Fox Den at the top of my list, but it is a good track for the money and not very crowded. I'd put it a step above most of the Carolina Trail courses but certainly not an Olde Sycamore, Emerald Lake, Springfield, Stonebridge or Verdict Ridge. I'll save my money for those. In fact, I'm playing Verdict Ridge this weekend and will be sure to post a review.
- 10/23/11, Review by mbspilla - First time Fox Den and it was a treat. Paid $36 for a Sunday morning round. Tee time was at 9am and no one was in front of us. Matter of fact there were probably only 5 or 6 cars in the parking lot. Overall the course was in great condition, the greens were rolling well, and the rough was moderate. One knock is people need to repair their ball marks, I probably repaired three or four on every hole. Love the layout it is has a good mix of elevation change that give you a mountain course feel and the back 9 has more of a coastal layout. Beer is cheap, paid $5 for 2 beers. I'll definitely be back and hopefully will have a similar experience.
- 8/31/11, Review by IM4DHERD - Course is in good shape...Never has really had a manicured look, but fairways, rough, tees and greens are all looking good. Fun course to play. Took advantage of an $18 coupon on Golfnow.com. 2.5 hour pace.
- 6/14/11, Review by Ironcitybrewery - I played this course 4 times in the last two weeks. The course has the "BEST" greens in the area. The greens are not super fast, but have a good speed to them and are actually green. The layout of this course is gorgeous. It has a links, beach, and mountain feel to it. It is off of exit 45 on 77, but it's worth the drive. The people there are good people and bust their ass daily to make this course the best in the area.
- 3/18/11, Review by tvrepairex - First time there.Course in good shape,the greens were in the best shape of any I've seen this year.We liked it so well that we did a replay and ended up with 36 holes.Little bit of a drive ,but worth it.
- 3/2/11, Review by Shannon - If you haven't played Fox Den lately it is well worth the trip. I would say it is in better shape than most courses in the region.
- 11/20/10, Review by DrSchteeve - Everything great. Nice layout, great price, perfect conditions. A bit of a hike but worth it.
- 11/9/10, Review by deadliftdaddy - Greens were phenomenal! Quick as lightning, just as I like them.
- 9/22/10 - Msg Board Posting
Fox Den panthersfann55 Course in great shape. Greens healed nicely since they punched them 4 weeks ago. Wish the fairways were mowed on this visit but all in all still a great value.
- 9/11/10, Review by metallikviper - Beautiful course. Not overly challenging. Have to lay-up on a couple of holes to avoid hazards. It's a bit far from South Charlotte, but for $29 it was definitely worth it. Greens were in great shape and the fairways were very well maintained. Most homes were not too close to the fairways. Only problem we encountered was both our carts ran out of juice by the 17th hole. Will definitely recommend.
- 9/7/10 - Msg Board Posting
Kudos to Fox Den Dr. Jones Greens were recently aerated, but still the course was in really good shape.
- 8/29/10 - Msg Board Posting
fox den egolfer just to let folks know, Fox Den just aerated their greens.
- 8/8/10, Review by DennyCrane - The course was in pretty good condition. Problem was, everyone and their mother showed up for the $29 special and the club was unprepared. Tee sheets were stacked, rangers lax about pace of play, and a round took over 5.5 hours to play. It's a nice course and the greens were much, much better than Birkdale or Highland Creek (putting on asphalt there), but wait until next month when the crowd dies down.
- 7/17/10, Review by pga5f - Course is in good shape. Greens holding up well. One of my favorite courses in the area and well worth the drive up to Statesville.
- 6/4/10, Review by geoirv - Great course, and the collective staff was possibly the best I've ever encountered. After being treated very poorly at Birkdale, (see my review of Birkdale) our group of 12 were greeted very cordially by the whole Fox Den staff. From the cart refreshment lady to the General Manager everyone had a great attitude. The starters and rangers all carried smiles and they were quick to engage in friendly conversation. The lady's at the bar were sensational and the food and drink was wonderful; without being gouged on price I might add. Thank you again to the staff of Fox Den for turning around what had been a bad experience at Birkdale earlier in the day. We look forward to playing Fox Den again. Irv Looney
- 5/14/10, Review by hvalmer - A friend of mine made a tee time at Fox Den on Friday afternoon and asked me to play. This was my first time I loved it. I think the reason this place does not get more play is because of the location, but it only took me 30 minutes from Charlotte. The greens were perfect. The fairways still have a few bare spots on them, but nothing really noticable. Overall, the course wsa in incredible shape. It was also only $29, which is around $20 cheaper than other courses in north charlotte, and is in much better shape.
- 4/16/10, Review by Hit And Hunt - Played early on Friday morning and loved it. I played this course a looooong time ago. They built a giant new clubhouse and got new carts since the last time I played. Course was in great shape. Greens were smooth and quick. The fairways are almost completely green, like everyone else in the area. I live in North Charlotte and it took about 25 minutes to get there, well worth it. Great change of pace.
- 4/8/10 - Msg Board Posting
Fox Den Country Club Charles Pauller Played Fox Den on Wednesday (04/07/10) for the first time. I live in Charlotte and never made it up there before. I enjoyed it very much. The course was in good shape and the layout is incredible. I paid $24 as a senior, but I am not sure what the regular rate is. I will be back. It is a great change of pace from the courses in Charlotte. Well worth the 35 minute drive.
- 11/1/09 - Due to popular demand, I've officially added Fox Den to the site. Send me your updates and reviews! Here's one from Chuck: I know Fox Den CC is not considered a "Charlotte" golf course, but I did play there today (10/18/09) and I have to say this course is in very nice condition. The greens are rolling really well, the fairways are nice and you do have pretty decent lies to hit off of. True, the front nine is pretty hilly and you may have some uneven lies but the back nine is even better. Nice new clubhouse and not too many other golfers out there due to the cooler temps made this round very enjoyable. Only a 20-30 minute drive north of Charlotte, a must to check out.
- 10/18/09 - Msg Board Posting
Fox Den James Played for the first time today. Nice course, good layout, and it was in impeccable condition. Better yet, the green fee was $29! We teed off at 12:08, and were done by 4:00. It was pretty chilly today, so the course was pretty deserted, but I wasn't complaining. Certainly worth visiting, but if I had my choice of courses 45 minutes from Charlotte, I would pick Verdict Ridge.
- 3/30/09 - Msg Board Posting
Fox Den Country Club David Quintana I am telling everyone right now, and then I am not bringing it up again because I want this place all to myself. Fox Den Country Club is in Statesville and well worth the drive up 77 North. This is the closest thing to a mountain course that is within driving distance of Charlotte. The layout is like nothing else around here. The course was in fantastic shape with the greens rolling smooth and true. There is so much elevation change, with dramatic views and dropoffs. I loved every second of it. The prices are better than anyone in Charlotte. Give it a shot, I promise that you will be hooked.