News & Updates for Waterford Golf ClubSubscribe to the RSS feed for this page and never miss an update!
View Recent Updates for All Courses
- 10/31/15, Review by email@example.com - I played in our church outing and had a wonderful time. The course was in good condition (especially with all of the rain we have had). the staff as always was courteous,friendly, and attentive to our needs. We had such a great time we booked our 2016 event there!
- 10/13/15, Review by meaderman - I played Waterford this morning (10/13/2015) for the first time and had a great time. The golf course was in good condition considering all the rain we have had. The staff was friendly and informative and the pro shop had a great selection of merchandise at reasonable prices. We played in a little over 4 hours, which was good considering carts were on the path today. I will definitely be back.
- 9/2/15, Review by HittOD - Greens 3.75/5 Full/ Miniverde, Fairways 3.5/5 Mostly full, rough terrain in spots Cart Paths 3.0/5 Rough in spots Layout 3.25/5 Greenside bunkers too far from the greens on many holes. Some holes had a municipal/state park feel. Rough 3.75/5 mostly full, some very tough lies Drinking Water on the Course 5/5 nice amount of containers each full of cold water Pace of Play 5/5 my 3some played in 3.5 hrs with nobody ahead of us. Clubhouse/staff 5/5 First time I played this course, but apparently much improved over past few years. I would like to see some Clickitgolf.com coupons available for other than foursomes-only to provide better value.
- 8/23/15, Review by jscum13 - Wow did they fix this course up. Blown away. Great greens, fairways, bunkers, everything. Rough was penalizing and long. Forgot how tight this course was. Will be back A LOT. Click it deal for 4somes
- 8/11/15, Review by springbreaky1988 - I know this course has been in trouble as of recent years from what i hear, but i wanted to write a review from a guy who has played all over the country and from the finest to the poorest types of courses. I moved here in 2011 and was a member at Piper Glen and now play out of Fort Mill. I played this Waterford for the first time today. This course is in great shape considering all the negative comments i have seen in the past. It is a challenge and also score-able. I wouldn't say it is target golf at all. You maybe take the driver out of your hands twice. From the back tees, Maybe one. There are risk reward shots, so sometimes 3w or less is the smart play. The greens were in good condition. It just rained, and punched two weeks ago. But the Mini-Verde surface rolled true. No ball marks and when freshly mowed... it was fun to putt. The Fairways were in really good shape!!! the Rough is tough, mainly cause lack of water in the area. So the ball sits down in the rough more then you want. The bunkers i didnt have to play out of and see how they added new sand. They seemed fair and could use a little TLC around the edge of the bunkers. Only one gimmicky hole but it played fair. I think it was 14 or something like that. This course does not have 16-18 holes with water on them, maybe only a few that it really comes into play. All and all, it was a good course, the rates and monthly rates are a super good deal if you live close. I like that they open at 7am and since no one wants to try this course out..... not many players out there during the week from what i saw. I try to compare this course to fort mill... its tough. They are pretty even. I give fort mill better greens, but waterford, better fairways and fringe. I like both layouts.. either course is a good course. The tee boxes on two holes could of been better, but they will. If you are walking you have a couple decent walks to a could holes but not to bad. Terrain isn't bad if you enjoy a walk and exercise. Good job waterford!!.. i hope you all find this helpful from a player whose review should matter ;)
- 7/24/15, Review by dongtrgolfer - Played on Friday morning. These greens have always given me problems as I never seem to get the speed right. But the greens were fast and in good condition. They were receptive to a good shot. I will need to figure out mini verde as more courses go in that direction. Fairways were fine, tee boxes ok but some chewed up. Rough was right up to the fairway and was very difficult. Very thick. It also seems the fairways are narrower on this course. Overall the course is in good shape and I just need to figure out these greens and stay away from the rough.
- 7/19/15, Review by BLTdahacker - First off I was so happy to see a former Carolina Trail course come back to life. The greens were a bit fast but in great shape. Though there were 2 greens that had some repair areas on them. Tee boxes were in good shape but again there were a few that needed some TLC. Fairways were in good shape. Staff very friendly and helpful I will for sure be back. My goal this year is to try all the former Carolina Trail courses. So if you are on the fence to try one this one is a for sure good time.
- 7/19/15, Review by jooliver - Golfers should definitely come back and play here if you have been away for awhile. The course is in great shape and Mike and his staff are really nice.
- 7/18/15, Review by GinMillDJ - Fairways are in very good shape. Greens are fine. A few of them had some bad spots, but nothing that interrupted putting too badly. SOme of the tee boxes were in poor shape. Still a very good value at that price. (Clickitgolf coupon)
- 6/28/15, Review by adamgolfr - Waterford was in great shape once again. The greens were recently punched, but were already rolling nice. As always the staff was friendly, and always smiling.
- 6/26/15, Review by Flicbone - Best course around. It truly will challenge your golf skills. If you play well at waterford, it will improve your game. The greens, fairways and bunkers are amazing. When you're on the course, you feel like you're playing at a private course. I would recommend it to everyone.
- 5/30/15, Review by metallikviper - Greens are in great shape and putting well. Tee boxes need a lot of work as most are barren. Overall a good experience and worth the $40 if you have a Queen City Passport for the New Trail courses.
- 8/22/14, Review by dongtrgolfer - It has been a while so we thought we would give this course another try. Got a good $28 click it deal and we played as a 3 some. Got to the course early. $6 for half a bucket of dirty not in best condition balls? Range is very beat up and very hard ground. Practice green in ok condition but expecting perfect for mini verde at this time of year. Greens were a little hit and miss. Some in good condition some having a few issues. I have never read and putted these greens well so maybe that had some impact today. Fairways in fairly nice condition for the most part. They had just mowed them so lots of mowed grass on the fairways. Not in bunkers but my playing partner said they were raked. Tee boxes ok, but not great. Rough was fairly thick and penal so keep it straight. Finally, it was fairly empty parking lot for a Friday morning. Cart girl was nice to see on a hot day on the back nine. Overall, probably getting better and if you get a good price take a chance.
- 8/14/14 - Msg Board Posting
Carolina Trail Courses Update The B-Man Most of you should be seeing much better reviews lately for the former Carolina Trail courses. They are starting to really come back in shape, which is great to see.
I received two emails yesterday - one with a $10 off coupon for any of the 5 former courses - The Divide, Waterford, Tradition, Highland Creek and Birkdale - and one from Waterford. Here's the full text:
NEW OWNERS AND MANAGEMENT AT WATERFORD GOLF CLUB
As you have probably heard, a foreclosure process was recently completed with respect to Waterford Golf Club. As a result of that process, effective August 1, 2014, Romspen-Waterford LLC is now the owner of the facility.
The new owners are committed to returning the golf ! course to its rightful place as one of the best daily fee facilities in the Charlotte area and have retained the services of Traditional Golf Management to operate the club. We understand that this has been a very volatile environment and we are confident that the new ownership and management will provide the much needed stability that this club needs. We are currently working on both operating and capital plans that will allow us to show continuous improvement in the facility and service levels at the club.
We are excited to begin the process of restoring the course to the quality that was enjoyed years ago. We look forward to earning back your business and seeing you on the golf course.
- 7/19/14, Review by jooliver - Conditions have improved. Fairways and greens are good. If you can find a deal, it's worth playing.
- 11/22/13, Review by JHG - Course was in better condition than I thought it would be. Greens are brown but seem pretty fast and smooth. Sand in bunkers could use a rake job but playable. Parking lot was pretty full but the pace seemed ok. Shop staff friendly. Overall not too bad.
- 8/30/13, Review by wnb5th - This one is hard for me to write and a shame. I have always enjoyed this course BUT the current conditions are gross. The rough is 6-8" in spots, the fairways have crabgrass and look more like the rough does at other respectable golf courses, the bunkers are bad, the greens are suffering as well... For me, the most important aspect of a course is the greens. I can handle some other issues as long as the putting surfaces are true... The greens have weeds in areas, some areas are burnt out and fast, others are furry and slow.. no real consistency. I am not sure what is going on and why the course is suffering but save yourself the $30 and play elsewhere for the time being.
- 8/25/13, Review by streammylife - This course was in rough, shape, no pun intended. The rough seemed to fade into the fairways. The course did not appear to have been recently mowed. The rough was absolutely terrible. Finding balls just off the fairway proved to be very difficult at times. The greens were hard and several were filled with little patches of significantly longer grass.
- 8/23/13, Review by tvrepairex - The course is narrow in places and if you hit into the edge of the woods,forget it.No chance or finding a ball ,even two feet off the course.The rough was tall and thick some fairways were pretty tall also.The greens were in pretty good sharp and putted true.The "bunkers"were laughable.There was no sand and what sand was there, was hard packed.Most had standing water that was due to recent rains.I saw no one working on any bunkers.I am aware of the Carolina Trail issues but I was playing with someone from Columbia, and since I am from Concord, it was a"halfway "point course .We played as a twosome and had a couple foursomes in front of us and there was NO offer for us to play through.
- 3/9/13, Review by Russell - Well, with the nice weather everyone and their brother was out playing Saturday. I thought I would try Waterford since it was one of the only courses with room on their tee sheet. I called in the morning and there was a half hour frost delay but the pro said they should be caught up by our tee time at 11:18. We went off about 11:40 but ground to a halt by the second tee. Waited on every shot and every tee without a ranger in site. We abandoned the round after a 3 hour front nine for a rain check. Not sure what was going on out there - maybe they crammed too many groups out after the frost delay. Conditions could of been a factor. The new greens seemed to be extra hard and quick and the pin positions on a few holes were ridiculous. I have played other local courses with the same type of greens and they were not baked out like these were. Also, the rest of the course as in pretty dismal shape - from the unraked muddy bunkers to the torn up cart paths - pretty beaten up all around. It is really too bad, I thought I would play here a lot more after they replaced the greens but it looks like I will have to go elsewhere until I hear different.
- 11/16/12, Review by JHG - The "new" greens are perfect right now. Played in the annual "gobbler" tournament and the course is excellent. Greens are real fast and smooth, just try and stay below the hole...a bit of a drive for me but worth the trip.
- 9/22/12, Review by metallikviper - Course still in good shape. Everything is at average or better. Greens are in great shape, a little tricky to putt on. Great course for an awesome price.
- 8/18/12, Review by metallikviper - Waterford could not have a made a smarter decision than when they decided to switch the greens to Mini Verde. These greens hold up well to the summer heat and almost always never leave divots. Reading putts is a little tricky and trying to check up on the high irons is almost impossible for the higher handicappers. But, course was in good shape and is definitely worth playing for how much they are charging.
- 8/5/12, Review by estanwick - Positives: Excellent greens. They have changed the type of grass in the greens and they are in very good shape. Fairways are good and tee boxes are fair. For one of the trail courses, it was in good shape compared to the others. Negitives: Pace of play. (but this is expected). Overall grade: B/B+
- 7/5/12, Review by metallikviper - Course is in good shape. The new greens were a really smart decision as they are holding the summer heat really well. Tee boxes and fairways could use some help and the roughs looked a bit high. Sand in bunkers was spotty with some having good sand and some just seemed to have pebbles and rocks. For $30 its a really good deal.
- 6/16/12, Review by kincaid82 - Gave Waterford another try, and kept an open mind. Although I did not play well, the course is in pretty solid shape, but if your ball striking is off I would avoid this course. I am going to plan to keep going back as a challenge to myself so I can put up a good score, because honestly it's a good course, you just need to know where to hit it. Greens should be rolling nice in about two weeks, they had just been punched a week ago.
- 6/3/12, Review by ISlayMySelf - Great bang for your buck. 3rd time I've played this course and the conditions are the best that I have seen. Tee boxes, fairways and greens were all in good shape. Some bunkers need some work but luckily I was able to stay out of them. Place was packed because of the weekend weather and the $29 deal you can get online but it was worth it. If you haven't played here or played a few months ago I would recommend it. I was genuinely surprised by how nice the fairways have come in and greens are fast but look near perfect. Its nice to play a Carolina Trail course besides Birkdale and come away happy with the course conditions.
- 5/20/12, Review by estanwick - Greens in good condition (no issues from what I could see). Tee boxes, okay but worn due to amount of play they get. Fairways were good shape and sand was in okay shape at best. The 2nd cut was hard and excess roll in my opinion. Overall, its worth playing currently. Pace of play is slow but that's expected on a weekend. I give it a "B" grade.
- 5/13/12, Review by kincaid82 - Course is in solid shape, but hard as a rock. Hit some great drives, and irons only to see them take bounces like they hit the cart path. Never been a huge fan of this course, but always like to mix it up a little, and it had been a few years since i played here. Well going to be a few more years before i come back.
- 4/20/12, Review by DrSchteeve - Everything average. Greens a bit hairy. Fairways a bit thin. Good pace of play.
- 4/15/12, Review by ISlayMySelf - This course is hard as a rock. Greens are in good condition but fast and hard. Fairways are covered in grass but nothing fluffy, very thin lies. Tee boxes were hard enough that you had to work to get your tees in the ground. Good drives will roll a long way thanks to the conditions. Not sure if the course can withstand the summer heat so I would recommend you play it now. Pace was good and starter and marshalls were real helpful with a troublesome group behind us.
- 3/13/12, Review by ISlayMySelf - I really enjoyed this course. Started at 1:30 and had the place to ourselves. This is not an overly tough course. The fairways were open and the greens were big. Some hills would give you the occasional blind tee shot or approach shot but that is only on a few holes. If you are hitting good off the tee you can have fun on this course. Greens were in great condition, fairways still dormant but in good condition. Hole 16 had a "bunker/natural area" behind the green that was awful. Not sure what is going on there but overall the course was nice. Hopefully the course holds up to the warm weather to come because I look forward to playing here again. $34 on clickit is a great price but I would pay $52 to play on the weekend.
- 12/1/11, Review by izzyf150 - This golf course is in pretty good shape. Even though my score didn’t reflect it, it is one of the easier golf courses in the area. I got a couple complaints though. The sand traps are way low on sand. It rained two days ago and most of the sand traps are still full of water. The greens are hard as a rock. They had a number of their ground workers out on the course doing I don’t know what. I only caught one of the actually working once. Just about every hole on the front 9 they was wanting to drive down the hole we were playing. (They were just driving around and never seen them working). It was disturbing.
- 11/21/11, Review by metallikviper - Course is in good shape. The over-seeding on the tee boxes have helped as they were in dire need of repair. Fairway are showing signs of fall wear, but not too bad. I really like the new Mini-Verde greens as they don't mark up easy. But they are also very hard and you're lucky to stop any balls. Putting was really hard as the greens were cut down to almost nothing. It took us a good 9 holes to adjust to the speed. For the most part it felt like putting on glass. Pace of play wasn't too bad.
- 10/8/11, Review by Matt - For the $28 clickit coupon right now, you won't regret playing this course. Greens A, fairways B+ or A-, Rough is very thick and can easily lose balls in it, teeboxes B, and sand was only bad thing; it was as hard as a brick. All in all, a great course right now at a great price. Also, they have the new mini-verde greens. They are fast and smooth because they ain't marked up; however don't expect to spin the ball back a lot or stick it real close because they are firm as well (that is why they don't mark up.) I would recommend. Not quite as good as Springfield but pretty similar to Fort Mill condition-wise. Much better than the other Trail courses I have played.
- 10/1/11, Review by metallikviper - Green were great. For some off reason we could never leave any pitch marks, but the ball still checked up pretty good. Tee boxes need some work and so do the fairways. Pin placement was tricky on more than a few holes. Marshals driving around the course course the whole day and everything seemed to be going smooth. I wish the roughs were not as rough as I did lose a couple of balls in the high rough. Definitely one of the best greens in the area.
- 8/26/11, Review by dongtrgolfer - Course in fairly good shape. Greens are perfect. Fast and in great shape. Some fairways and some tee boxes grass is burnt out and brown. Bring your hammer for some of the tee boxes, hard as a rock. Rough is really "Rough". Easy to lose balls in very thick rough on many of the holes. Some really tough pin placements on several holes today. Pace of play was good and we made it around in just under 4 hrs. Price included lunch so not a bad deal.
- 6/25/11, Review by Matt - Greens are in very good shape, fairways are average, rough is way too thick for fair play. Pace of Play was great, I didn't see anyone ahead or behind me until 15. Then it backed up but still wasn't too bad. Staff was friendly and wasn't very crowded at all. An overall good experience.
- 6/18/11, Review by metallikviper - We were the first group out on Saturday so did not have to worry about the pace of play. Nobody was pushing us so we played comfortably under 4 hours. Greens look like they were aerated a couple of weeks ago and were a bit bumpy. Also as the dew dried up it changed the pace of the greens through the holes. Also I did not find the greens had an even speed, maybe I was just putting bad. Roughs were cut a little high so errant tee shots were punished. Overall I enjoyed the round and for $32 it was a real bargain. Not sure why the Links courses got rid of the GPSs on their carts. It would be really nice if they put the course layouts on either the cards or by the tee box.
- 6/5/11, Review by estanwick - Course was in decent shape. The greens had true roll with no issues. I found the fairways to be extremely fast. There were a few tee boxes that were beat up pretty bad but that's expected for the amount of play this course gets. Overall I would rate it "B".
- 5/30/11 - Msg Board Posting
Waterford Jamie Played Waterford yesterday (5/29/11). Course is in pretty good shape, but the greens were unusually slow. Actually they were probably the slowest I have ever seen there. Fairways were pretty good. There were several bunkers with standing water, but the fairways played hard and fast - weird. Overall, I give it a B.
- 3/20/11, Review by JD - Course's greens were a bit bumpy and uncharacteristically slow. Bunkers very inconsistent -- some were clay, some were powder.
- 10/2/10, Review by DrSchteeve - Greens were near perfect. Fairways were shaggy. Pace was very slow. Probably won't go back because of the pace.
- 9/25/10, Review by Russell - I thought that I would give Waterford's new greens a spin - I had pretty low expectations but I was pleasantly surprised. The greens were in very nice shape with only a few isolated issues on one or two greens. They also made some other changes while they were closed - resodding some teeing areas, putting down new mulch and clearing out wooded areas around the greens - I assume to increase sunlight and airflow around the new greens. It is nice to have Waterford as an option on the south side of town again.
- 9/22/10, Review by wnb5th - 1st time back to waterford since they put in the new bermuda greens and i liked them... in good shape already and once fully grown in should be nice. paid 25 bucks, teed off at 430 or so and got 13 holes in... if the rates stay down low this is a good value. they also took what used to be rough in between #2 and #3 fairways and turned it into one gigantic adjoining fairway... liked that change.
- 8/18/10 - Received this today via email: Waterford Golf Club Presents “PLAY OUR NEW GREENS SCRAMBLE” on Sunday, September 19. 1:00 pm Shotgun Start. Entry Fee: $32 Members,…$52 Non-members. Get a foursome and sign up to play a Captains Choice Golf Tournament on our new Mini Verde Greens! Net & Gross Team Winners and closest to pin prizes on all Par 3’s. BBQ Dinner Following Play. Please sign up in the Pro Shop or call 803-324-0300. We expect a full field, so get your team together and sign-up!
- 7/29/10 - Waterford's greens have been lost to the summer heat. The course closed July 11 and hopes to reopen by Labor Day weekend. They are transitioning from bentgrass greens to the more heat-tolerant MiniVerde grass.
- 7/3/10, Review by wnb5th - Greens are in horrible shape. Tee boxes are also not good. On bright side, the fairways are ok. The 2 weeks of 90 degree + weather has severely damaged these greens. Go play elsewhere.
- 4/23/10, Review by malamute - this is a course in rock hill designed by hale irwin - well worth the drive / greens in fine shape / a few tee boxes sandy / fairways fine / staff friendly as always
- 7/31/09 - Msg Board Posting
Waterford Golf Ruthless Played on SAT AM. Wet, and a Few Greens were shot...Course was in OK shape, and Cart girl did not show til 17th hole. Coupon online for 37 bucks, otherwise I thought it was AVG at BEst...If it was in good shape, it would have been sweet. Bunkers were perfect.
- 6/8/09 - Msg Board Posting
Waterford J.D. Played yesterday afternoon. Greens in great shape, fast as usual. They got a lot of rain the last few days and it was cart path only, but this was more of a precaution. (Several players were ignoring the cart-path only, with no damage.)
There was a bit of drainage problems in some of the bunkers -- #2 fairway bunker being the worst I saw, but overall the course was in decent shape.
- 5/25/09 - Msg Board Posting
Course Update Dave Played Monroe CC Friday. I have nothing to add to B-Man's comments except to second them. If you get a chance, go play it.
Played Waterford Saturday. Course was in really good shape. Tee boxes were a little beat up but it's hard to take care of them when the course gets a lot of play. This is my second favotrite Trail course after Skybrook.
Played Eagle Chase Monday. Course was in great shape. Even with all the rain we had it was still 90 degrees. There are a lot of elevation changes on this course but I don't find it gimmicky. I wish it was closer to the house.
- 9/1/08 - Msg Board Posting
Waterford John Played Waterford yesterday. Pace of play was fine. Fairways and tee boxes were in good condition. Greens were in a hurting state. They were super slow and pot marked and pretty much all of them had crab grass spots. #5 and #6 greens were worthy to note because they appeared to be the worst of the bunch. #6 has many many bare spots from where they tried to spot kill the crab grass. Well - they did but managed to create hundreds of bare spots on the green.
Other than that - another day of golf.
- 8/10/08 - Msg Board Posting
Waterford John Played 8/9/08. The fairways were in pretty good condition. The greens rolled mostly good and were pretty fast, but the appearence was poor, lots of ball mark spots, a big fungus (black-dark green) problem, and some of the greens either were beginning to have a crab grass problem or when they overseeded the fairways with bermuda earlier this summer they got careless and hit some. But for $35 on a Sat it was a steal. All in all I enjoyed the course.
- 5/14/08 - Msg Board Posting
New course added and other condition updates B-Man I've added Carolina Lakes Golf Club (Indian Land, SC) to the roster. I've still got to get out there and post my review, though. Let me know if you've played there and how you liked it.
Also, I received some quick updates from J.D.:
Waterford -- Greens are in good shape and lightning quick as usual. But the fairways could be a bit better, even with our drought conditions.
Carolina Lakes -- Probably one of the best courses in South Charlotte. Excellent condition. Good luck trying to hold the greens on anything more than a PW.
Emerald Lake -- Good greens, but the course was in better condition earlier in the year.
Springfield -- Fantastic condition and still one of the toughest off-the-tee courses around.
- 4/3/08 - 3/22 - First time playing this course, and I was very surprised. The course was in fantastic shape (compared to others we have played in the past even.) The greens and approaches were well watered, green, and fast. The traps were perfect, and the dormant grass was long enough to hit off of. We were very impressed with the conditions at Waterford, and it is now on our regular list. (Update from user Slice-o-matic)
- 4/3/08 - Played 36 holes on 3/29. I can echo Slice-o-matic's review of Waterford. It was in good playing shape for this time of year and compared to other local courses. Also, note that this is a great course to play 2 rounds in one day. Their weekend replay rate was only $20 and you can play 9 at a time for $10. They were not busy at all the Saturday afternoon I played and we went right back to the #1 tee after finishing our first round.
- 10/2/06 - Msg Board Posting
Waterford MichaelS Played 10/1 - very good shape - they have not yet airified and wont for a few more weeks. Greens are fast and firm - did not hold well as they are truly very firm and unusually fast for a Carolina Trail Course.
I really like the layout here and the course is most always well maintained - Big hitters will be extra pleased to learn that the menancing tree on 14 (right side fairway daring you on your drive to cut around it) has been removed making this par 5 a green light for those willing to "borrow a bit" and cut the dogleg. I easily was on in 2 and I am no that big a hitter but only had 187 in after my drive..missed the eagle putt but had tap in birdie.
pace of play was slow for us being the 3rd group out and behind a threesome - no rnagers pushing folks along I consider slow 4 hrs so we came in at 3.75, but as third group and a threesome.
- 7/31/06 - Msg Board Posting
Charlotte National and Waterford J.D. Played both courses this weekend and both are in great condition. Look for online specials for Waterford--was able to play Sunday for $29!
If someone can tell me how to play the 18th hole at Charlotte National, I'd appreciate it. It's always a card-killer for me.
- 6/18/06 - Msg Board Posting
Waterford Jonathan Made it to Waterford earlier in the week and was very impressed. Couldn't beat the $25 coupon considering the shape of the fairways and greens. The weather was not great when I played, but the course was in great shape.
- 12/27/05 - Msg Board Posting
Waterford GC Eap Played Waterford yesterday and the greens are in great shape. Some of the fairways are a little soggy due to the past rain.Had a good time!!
- 10/6/05 - Msg Board Posting
Conditions MJS For those visiting Charlotte this fall, please know that this summer's conditions were very hard on local area greens - very wet and humid early and very, very dry for an extended period only now starting to come back. My opinion on those asked about in earlier posts:
Springfield - tough tough, forced carries and truly unique place - just now developing real estate on/around course. Play it now as it is one of the best premium courses in the area. I played last week and greens were so so - having just been punched and suffering a bit from the bad summer - great value durring the week and unique.
Eagle Chase - kind of a long drive, I call this a bubba course. I mean it in a nice way - more like a muni look and feel it is low end but really good layout, not in great shape - almost like a mtn course with elevation change.
Olde Sycamore - Probably best greens around right now - very playable and tough layout. typical Charlotte style course in a housing development.
Regent Park - great layout and usually great shape - i have heard greens were lost earlier this year and have stayed away but will defer to earlier posters and go back on their rec.
Waterford - in Rock Hill SC - 30 min from Charlotte. A gem, and a Hale Irwin Course very fun and some unique holes (#3 has you drive thru a "chute") Good shape
Charlotte Golf Links - scottish style layout with lots of Gorse, bunkers and elevated greens - good shape and right off 485
Stonebridge - good shape for the most part and forgiving layout
Larkhaven is a muni that is not in the same tier as above but fun/fair and cheap
Verdict Ridge is TIGHT and LOTS of houses but very nice and good shape last time I played
My top 4:
Charlotte Golf Links
- 6/16/04 - In good shape as always. Several fairways have been recently aerated, but it didn't interfere with play. Tees and greens were fine. The greens were rolling medium fast. Lots of rain the last couple of days, so of course it's a little soggy. This course drains well, however.
- 2/24/04 - They have just aerated and sanded the greens. The rest of the course is in good shape for this time of year. Rough is thin and brown and they cleared out/thinned a lot of brush thoughout the course. Reworking bunker on number 6. (From Russell)
- 7/23/03 - Wow. This course is in absolutely pristine condition. One of the best I've seen lately. Even with the rain, this course held up well. Very little casual water to speak of. Tee boxes, fairways and greens all were lush and well cut. I've got to find time to play here more often!